Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Quick Launch

Home

​​
 

 Meeting Notes

 
  
Attachments
  
  
  
  
Notes
8/27/2012 7:00 PMAttachment
  
Regular Class Meeting8/27/2012 6:21 PM

*Journal

- Milestones - mostly about the code and what we are going to achieve

-Development – non code related stuff

*TO DO

-Carrie will put up a sharpoint page with instructions to go about stuff in sharepoint and will make a minutes template

-Documentation- everyone add a detailed documentation

- Disconnect project from TFS and add to it to phonon-Archie

 

*Architecture diagram –general idea

*View , controller( framework-GUI-network manager-computation manager),Model(modules-network)

*Proposal structure

Controller --àGUI

                |

                Model controller

                |              |

Modules              network

 

*notes

                -Adapter is transparent and the modules interact through the  interface

                -Adapters have to be in controller and each team will be given a set of interfaces

-Problems faced with UML diagram – access denied.

-Framework should be taken out of the controller

-module team can use –factory

                -FLL CODE

                                “module”            = factory

                                “module instance”=module

                                “module template”=module signature

 

 

·         Each team decided what services they need from other teams and the team leaders had a meeting to discuss the issues.

8/27/2012 7:00 PM
  
Outside Class Meeting8/27/2012 9:33 PM

​Carrie's Meeting Notes

Attendees: Carrie, Archie, Kevin, Damien, Apoorv, Randy

8/27/2012 7:00 p.m.


Modules:

Pushlished Services:

Create Module

Delete Module

Connect Modules * - should be  connecting inputs/outputs

Save Module - create composite module, save to palettte

-input

-output

-state

-getValue()

-run()


Q: Where are the number of input/outputs stored? 

A: In the Pallette.


Note: Check needs to be done before we connect the modules, make sure all inputs/outputs connected & no hanging terminals.

Event Observer: 'Shell' on input terminal. Notices when changed.

Network communications, currently pretty complication

Pull goes to remote stub of module, which creates a unique ComputationInstance which communicates with the ComputationManager which then requests a value from the other computer, which eventually sends a response.


Required Services:

Need Network services, but not sure which yet, until we decide on a design to improve the above previous strategy from F11.


GUI:

Biggest Issue: GUI code keeping track of who it's connected it.

GUI shouldn't need to know who it's connected to, Network should track who's connect to who and provide that info to the GUI when needed (i.e. just connected, disconnected, etc.). GUI should just say that the local machine is disconnecting, and the Network sends that message to everyone.

So, Network API needs: 1) An I-am-disconnecting method 

 2) An I-want-to-disconnect-from-peer(PeerID) method

Next Issue: When connecting to an individual, connector gets both palettes, and host sometimes does not get new palette (Randy cited instance when both received palette).

Cross Issue: Decided on not having a Framework when discussing whoshould keep the list of modules.

        Current issue with old project, when you hook up a remote module, the result isn't stored correctly into your dictionary, so a 'key not found' error occurs.


 Networking:

       Question: In OwlVIEWData\Palette, what does makeSafe/makeDangerousdo? 

Answer: Networking needs to look more into that.


Question: Where do we store the list of modules I need

Anwer: In the network because they're already keeping track of who's connected to who, and an app's modules run hand-in-hand with that.

Networking needs converse for all it's services. Example: You wantbthem to compute something, they need somewhere to store the result.


Controller:


Start off with the one controller idea, we can add a Model controller later easier than we can go from two to one.

        Question: Who does this controller allow to talk to each other?

Answer: Everyone!!

Conclusion: Module on local machine should keep track of state, remote module only required for actual computation. Module is the product of the factory method, while the palette window holds a sort of 'meta data' about the available module.

        So, controller only creates the adapters between the Modules/Network/GUI, does not actually create an object or adapter.


General:

        DOCUMENTATIONS!!!

       When moving outside your sandbox, just add a method to the interfac documenting what you need it to do (inputs, outputs, who it's talking to, etc.). And we can contact the correct team with your outward-facing interface.


Action Points:

Get in contact with team => up to date on meeting decisions, design of your team, etc.

Provide an interface with what you NEED of other services. With documentation!!

Provide a document about what methods/information of what you provide.​ With documentation!

        Reminder: Start making a report of what your teams are choosing vs. last year on an outline/rough draft (due Wed in class!) so that we can eventually use it on our final report.

8/24/2012 3:00 PM
  
Regular Class Meeting8/27/2012 9:49 AM

         Deciding the pm, organization manager and other roles.

PM-Carrie

Organization Manager – Nithya

Architect –Randy

Share point manager –victor

TFS master- Archie

 

·         Every team should have a team leader and team architect 

·         Each team has their own wiki page

·         The whole class meets for dinner once a week

8/23/2012 9:00 PM
  
Outside Class Meeting8/23/2012 8:59 PM
Minutes:

Class Agenda for Friday:
=========================
*somebody needs to take meeting notes

Break into groups to talk about development process (10 minutes): 
- group to talk about sharepoint organization
-> proposed template in sharepoint 
http://www.bandgap.cs.rice.edu/classes/comp410/f12/SitePages/Site%20Org.aspx
- need to present the draft for template

- group to talk about 3rd party tools
-> asana for task management
-> piazza for questions
-> facebook for announcements
- need to reach agreement on what tools to use when

- group to talk about roles
http://www.bandgap.cs.rice.edu/classes/comp410/f11/Main%20Project/Organizational%20Chart.aspx
-> project manager
*should they be part of a team?
*should not flake
*should be someone everyone can talk to 
-> archtect (technical project manager) 
--> api 
--> docs
--> resolve technical disputes
--> helps PM reach decision
-> global scribe
--> take down minutes from meetings
-> information manager (sharepoint person)
--> keep track of site  
-> tfs master 
*f11 org chart with description of roles
- need to decide whose going to be doing what 

######################################################

Groups make presentations (15 minutes):
- class decides 
- should be no more then 5 minutes to reach a decision

######################################################

Break into teams (10 minutes):
- talk about code
- decide on roles 
-> team leader
-> tfs master
-> specs & test 

######################################################

Team leader meeting: (10 minutes)
- talk big picture
- rest of class talk about survey
-> someone needs to take down notes
*rest of group to talk about surveys
- should be no more then 10 minutes

######################################################

Recap (5 minutes):
- anything important from surveys?
- any lingering issues?

######################################################

Action Items:
Specs for each team
UML Diagrams for each Component 
Meeting once a week
- time limit 
- place
- submit ajenda 
Meeting during weekend, say Sunday?

######################################################

Meetings
=========
- don't let guest hijack meeting
- meeting should have purpose
- every meeting should have ajenda
- paying attention (no phones or laptops) 
- start & end time (be on time) 
- time keeper for meeting 
- follow up on past meetings (action items past meetings) 

Good reading:
=================
http://www.bandgap.cs.rice.edu/classes/comp410/f11/Main%20Project/Simulation%20Team/James%20Notes.aspx
8/22/2012 3:00 PM
  
Regular Class Meeting8/23/2012 12:14 AM
Meeting Minutes for 8/22

Teams
  • Modules
  • GUI
  • Connectivity
  • Controller

Within each Team

  • Project Manager
  • Doc/Spec Manager
  • Commit Manager

Overall:

  • Project Manager
  • Spec/Doc Manager
  • SharePoint Manager
To Do
  • Team Preference Survey
    • Kevin will publish by 9pm 6/22
    • Everybody should complete by noon 8/23
  • Add Contact Info to SharePoint by noon 8/23 (OR ELSE YOU DON'T EXIST)
  • Install All of this Stuff by Friday Class:
    • Visual Studio 2012
    • SQL Server
    • SharePoint Designer
    • TFS
    • Visio
    • Office
    • All of this is from Phonon
  • Read all materials from F11 Warmup Project by Friday Class
  • Join the Facebook Group:http://www.facebook.com/groups/512895522057788/
  • Connect to TFS
    • Be able to retrieve last year's project
    • Be able to commit to dummy project
    • Do all this by Class Friday
  • Do a C# Hello World by Class Friday
  • Sign up for SharePoint Alerts by Noon 8/23
  • SharePoint Forum + Add tutorial links that you find useful.
  • Basically, just use SharePoint

Questions for Teams about last year's code:

  • What design choices did they make?
  • Bugs/Bad Decisions?
  • What's unclear? Suspicious? Undocumented?
  • What is good? Anything? (How do we know what's good)
  • What works? What doesn't?
  • Insights?

Talking to Past 410 People:

  • Email them
  • Take detailed notes
  • CC SharePoint and then the emails will go directly into the doc lib in SharePoint

Wise Advice from Prof. Wong

  • If you don't know what you should be doing, figure it out. Now. Like ASAP. Seriously. Cuz it's on you.
  • If you can't figure out how to do something within 30 minutes, ask. Just ask. For real.
  • There's no time and no reason to be stalling on any one thing.
​​